Sunday, May 20, 2018

HERALDRY | All Souls. (May 20, 2018)

All Souls College.
Blazon Or a chevron between three pierced cinquefoils gules.  Gold field, red chevron (upside-down V) separating three red five-petaled flowers, two above and one below.

Authority Granted or ancient arms [to specify]. 
~Burkes. 1884, 13.
~Brooke-Little. 1951.

Founded 1438. The College of All Souls of the Faithful Departed is the ninth-oldest college at Oxford. It was planned in 1436 by Henry Chichele, Archbishop of Canterbury In 1438 King Henry VI was added as co-founder. The foundation-stone was laid on St Scholastica's Day (10 February) 1438. In 1443, its first buildings were effectively complete and it received its final statutes, modelled on those of New College, of which Chichele had once been a Fellow.

Nominee The arms are those of the founder, Henry Chichele, Archbishop of Canterbury from 1414.

Henry Chichele, Archbishop of Canterbury
Meaning The chevron, a device used in the arms of 13 Oxford colleges, represents a rafter joining the top of the roof, symbolizing protection and shelter. The three cinquefoils (five-leaf flowers) are from the arms of Chichele and signify hope and joy. The cinquefoils should be pierced.[https://bit.ly/2JfJat1]

Where Arms Posted The arms may be seen on the wrought-iron gates of the college on Catte Street opposite the Radcliffe Camera, and in the front of the college on the High Street next to Catte Street.

Warden Sir John Vickers, elected 2008.

Special Features Uniquely at Oxford, all members of the College are Fellows. On St Hilary's Day (14 January) 2001, a once-in-a-hundred-year ceremony took place. After a commemorative feast, the Fellows of All Souls paraded around the College with flaming torches, singing the Mallard Song (also sung at Gaudies), led by a "Lord Mallard" carried in a chair. The Fellows ceremonially seek a mallard that by legend flew out of the foundations of the college when first built. The Lord Mallard is preceded by a man bearing a pole to which a mallard is tied – originally a live bird, then a dead one (1901), and most recently a wooden mallard totem (2001). Warden Richard Astley (regnat 1618-36), referred to the ceremony (in 1601?) as leading to "barbarously unbeseeming conduct" involving doors or gates. The ceremony occurred also on schedule in 1701 and 1801.

[Where Other Arms in the College Are Visible Through the college gates may be seen the arms of various donors to the college other than the founder, i.e., General William Steuart, 1st Viscount Simon, Henry Godolphin, and Marshall Bridges. Next to the college arms on the High Street are those of Henry VI, who was king at the time of the college’s foundation. The arms on the gateway next door are believed to be those of ? Kemp.]

No comments:

Post a Comment