Sunday, May 13, 2018

HERALDRY | Campion Hall. (Updated May 21, 2018)

Campion Hall.
Blazon Argent on a Cross Sable a Plate charged with a Wolf’s Head erased of the second between in pale two Billets of the field that in chief charged with a Cinquefoil and that in base with a Saltire Gules and in fess as many plates each charged with a Campion flower leaved and slipped proper on a Chief also of the second two branches of Palm in saltire infiled with a Celestial Crown Or.

Authority Arms granted November 4, 1935.

Meaning The small saltire in the bottom arm of its ordinary sable cross may be taken to be the red St Patrick’s cross, as enshrined in the Union Jack, and references the Irish origin of the Jesuit missionaries sent from Dublin, who included the martyred Fr Edmund Campion.  Other devices refer to Campion and his martyrdom – a cross flanked with two campion flowers and with a wolf's head at its centre, this being a heraldic symbol of the Loyola family (lobo meaning wolf), of which a distinguished member, baptized Íñigo López and later known as Ignatius, founded the Jesuit Order. The top arm of the sable cross includes a cinquefoil, which is often interpreted as signifying hope and joy. In chief are two crossed palm branches of victory and a gold crown of triumph, illustrating the Christian belief in the significance of dying for one's faith. Campion Hall's Latin motto (not shown) is Veritatem facientes in Caritate (Doing the truth in love); this captures the essence of the Hall.

Founded 1896.

Master The Revd James Hanvey, S.J.

Special Features Founded by the Society of Jesus, a Roman Catholic order. Primarily for graduate students. (It has one undergraduate student in 2017-18 and nine graduate students.)

History Jesuit missionaries from Dublin were successful evangelists at Oxford until Roman Catholics were banned from the University, from 1581 under Queen Elizabeth I to 1871 under Queen Victoria. Although accepted by the University from 1871 to 1895, Catholics were forbidden by the Catholic bishops of England from attending Oxford, for fear they would be contaminated by a Protestant (and therefore heretical) University. The episcopal prohibition was relaxed in 1895, and the Ampleforth Benedictines immediately created St Benet's Hall to help their monks gain Oxford degrees and thereby strengthen Ampleforth and other schools in England and overseas. In 1896, the Jesuits for the same reasons created their own Oxford home. On September 9, 1896, Fr Richard Clarke, an Old Member of St. John's College, Oxford, opened a Private Hall called "Clarke's Hall", based at St. Aloysius Church in Oxford. The hall opened at 40 St Giles', Oxford, and he was the first Master, with four students. The second Master was Fr Pope, leading Campion Hall to be known as Pope's Hall. Campion Hall today now provides a home for graduate studies built around the Jesuit community and religious life, while always accepting scholars from different traditions, secular and religious. From its foundation in 1540, the Society of Jesus has been dedicated to education, especially higher education. The Society's founder, nowadays known as Ignatius of Loyola, believed that God is at work in all things. Within the University, Campion Hall seeks to foster the joy in learning celebrated by Saint Augustine.

No comments:

Post a Comment